Before buying a rod, you should decide where the fishing will take place. Think about the natural conditions, the expected trophies, and the type of fishing.
First of all, what is a spinning rod? It is a type of a rod, which is designed for catching predatory fish. The difference between a spinning rod and a simple fishing rod is that spinning fishing is an active search and catching of fish by “playing with bait”. A fisherman has to walk long distances to find his trophy.
Steps for choosing a spinning rod
Finding a universal spinning rod is from the realm of myths. It is necessary to understand that for catching each type of fish you need a specific spinning rod. Which spinning rod is better to choose? Let’s figure it out together.
1. The line rating and the power of a spinning rod
The line rating is the recommended weight of the loading. The first number shows what is the minimum weight that a rod can withstand , the second number shows what is the maximum weight. You should decide the type of fish and bait you will be using in order to stick to the line rating. The excess numbers lead to breakage or loss of sensitivity of the device. Depending on this rating, you can choose the power of a rod:
- Light. The lightest rods, which are used for small fish.
- Medium-light. Light-class rods which can be used while fishing for medium-sized predators.
- Medium. This is the most popular and versatile line rating. Such rods are suitable for catching medium and large fish in freshwaters.
- Medium-heavy. They are suitable for catching large predatory fish.
- Heavy. Such rods are used to catch the trophy.
2. The length of a rod
The length of the spinning fishing rod depends on the conditions in which the angling will take place. A 6 ft rod is suitable for fishing from a boat or from bushes. Conversely, a 13 ft long rod is useful for sea fishing when you need to make long, heavy casts.
Such a length division of rods was created for comfort fishing in different places and conditions. For example, the spinning rods will be completely different while fishing from a boat in a small river or from a boat on the sea. Also, you should pay attention to the height of the angler and choose a rod according to measurements.
3. Material of a rod, and a handle
Spinning rods are made from various materials. The choice is a matter of individual cases and taste.
- Carbon fiber is a lightweight and sensitive material, which is the most popular among fishermen. Carbon fiber rods are flexible, reliable, and highly durable.
- Fiberglass is cheap material. It is quite durable in use, however, fiberglass rods have large weight, which forces the angler to exert unnecessary effort while fishing.
- Composite material is something between fiberglass and carbon fiber in terms of performance. Composite rods are the most practical and versatile. They combine the strength and perceptibility of carbon fiber, but they’re a little bit heavier.
The angler holds the rod by the handle, so everyone chooses the material for themselves, according to their grip and their goals.
The handle can be made of:
The difference in material is significant. Plastic and metal handles are durable and mud-resistant, but neoprene and cork are much more pleasant to hold in your hands.
4. Action of a spinning road
The action is another parameter that you should pay attention to when choosing a spinning rod. It shows how the rod behaves under load. The bending of the rod depends on such factors as the material from which it is made, the length, and wall thickness. There are 4 main categories of actions. Let’s analyze them.
- Fast action. In such rods, only the top bends while fishing. They are the most convenient for making long-distance and accurate bait casts since they provide far better sensitivity than moderate or slow action items. Such rods are chosen by already experienced anglers, who have good technique. They’re suitable for windy conditions.
- Moderate-fast action. 25% of the rod bends under load. This action demands tough and fast work from the angler. Such rods are designed for heavy lures. They also have a good performance in the wind.
- Moderate action. These rods bend up to 50% as the load increases. They are considered the most versatile because they can adapt to almost all lures and fishing conditions. Such rods are flexible, and at the same time offer a good degree of stiffness, which gives a quick reaction in the tip of the rod.
Slow action. It can be called a progressive action or parabolic state. These rods cope with large and active fish, as they bend from the handle to the tip. It is rational to use them in calm weather on small rivers and streams. They are not suitable for angling in winter conditions. Such rods are designed for anglers who make short accurate casts and smooth movements.
Now you know how to choose the right spinning rod, what you need to consider while choosing it. After spending some time on GRITR Outdoors, comparing all your wishes with the proposed options, you will be able to purchase a specific spinning rod, which will serve you for a long time.